Antonio graduated from Florida International University in Miami with a B.S. in Biology, a B.A. in Chemistry, and an M.S. degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. His passion is to teach others how healthy lifestyle modifications can optimize performance in ALL areas of life. Antonio is one of the founders of Nutrition for Performance in Miami, Florida where he works hard to enhance overall performance through nutrition and other lifestyle modifications.
Advice for young athletes
- “Eat the rainbow” when it comes to fruits and veggies, do not limit yourself to one type of fruit and/or vegetable. Each different colored fruit/vegetables offers its own unique health benefit.
- Stick with low fat (1%) or fat free dairy options
- “The less legs, the better”- when choosing protein, aim for lean sources of protein. To help you remember what is lean think “the less legs the animal has, the leaner the option”. Ex. chicken/turkey is leaner than beef or pork.
- Hydration is just as important as fuel choices- aim to drink AT LEAST half of your body weight in ounces per day (does not account for exercise).
- Aim to get between 7-9 hours of sleep per night for proper recovery.